Why carry an IDP while driving in Ivory Coast?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Ivory Coast highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Ivory Coast
The best way to explore this country is by driving your own car. Be sure to orient yourself with the traffic laws in Ivory Coast.
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years old.
- While driving, a driver and all passengers in the car must wear seat belts.
- There is no national law regarding child safety. However, child-restraint is recommended.
- You can use your phones while driving. Just be sure to keep your eyes on the road.
- Drink moderately. The legal alcohol limit is 80 mg per 100 ml of blood.
- The speed limit is 60 km/h in urban areas.
- Watch out for potholes.
- Avoid driving at night due to poor lighting and visibility.
- Beware of unofficial roadblocks!
Road Quality in Ivory Coast
Road conditions are poor, but improving, especially in the capital, where new roads and bridges have been constructed. Drivers should be aware of potholes, poorly lit vehicles and bad driving. Many roads become impassable during the rainy season (May to November). Petrol stations are frequent except in the north.
Driving in Ivory Coast in the Winter
Ivory Coast is an African country so winter is not a concern. You should avoid travelling during the rainy season from May to November. Be sure to keep your emergency kits handy at all times.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from