Why carry an IDP while driving in Kazakhstan?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Kazakhstan highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Kazakhstan
Foreign visitors wishing to drive in Kazakhstan should have an International driver license. Driving in Kazakhstan with the International driver license is permitted for up to six months. If you are looking for a great ski, Kazakhstan is perfect for you! This amazing country is known for its amazing skiing spots. Visit its beautiful lakes and peaceful landscape while you’re there too. Drive your own car to get from one destination to another. Here are a few important tips to drive safely in Kazakhstan.
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road and overtaking on the left side.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years old.
- While driving, a driver and all passengers in the car must wear seat belts.
- In Kazakhstan, there is a zero-tolerance policy for driving under the influence of alcohol.
- The speed limit in residential areas is 20 km/h; in urban areas – 60 km/h; outside the urban areas – 90 km/h; on highways – 110 km/h.
- While driving, using a cell is not permitted.
- It is not permitted to use special lights and vehicle horns.
- For any foreign vehicle, it is required to have a registration plate and distinctive mark of the state where the vehicle is registered.
- It is required to have the contract of obligatory insurance of responsibility of owners of vehicles.
- It is not permitted to throw out on the carriageway garbage and subjects creating danger to traffic.
- Foreign drivers must have an International driving permits and car registered papers at all time while driving.
- It is permitted to stop and park vehicles on the right roadside. In residential areas, it is permitted to stop and park on the left side of the road which has one-lane for each direction without tram ways in the middle and on roads with one-way traffic.
- Parking is not permitted: in places where stopping is forbidden; on platforms, bridges, overpasses; on the carriageway of the roads out of the residential areas; closer than 50 m from railway crossings.
- At stations, drivers must give way pedestrians who are going to public transport (buses, trams, trolleybuses) or out of them. U-turn is not permitted: at crosswalks; at tunnels; on bridges and under them; at railway crossings; at bus stations.
Additional Information for Driving in Kazakhstan:
Traffic police has a right to stop any vehicle and ask to show a driver permit or car registration papers. It is recommended to park vehicles only at guarded parking lots. In Kazakhstan, some areas are closed or secured; passing through those areas require permission from authorities. It is recommended to have vehicles in good condition to avoid road accidents. In the evenings, street lights may be turned off on roads. Drivers should be very careful since animals can travel the roads and may not be seen. During winter, roads can be slippery due to snow and ice. The police phone number is 112.
Driving in Kazakhstan During Winter:
Driving in Kazakhstan in winter can be difficult. Be sure to have winter tires in all your wheels. Snow chains may be required if you are going up in the mountains. Keep a bottled drinking water in your car. Have your emergency kits handy at all times.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from