Why carry an IDP while driving in Kuwait?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Kuwait highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Kuwait
Foreigners, who have arrived Kuwait on a visit/business visa, may drive there with their International driving permits until their visit visa expires (as a rule, one month). Visitor must have liability insurance. Foreigner visitors may bring their vehicles into Kuwait on a temporary basis for three months.
To obtain a Kuwaiti driver license, an applicant must be legally resident for at least two years in Kuwait. People who arrived from some countries (for instance, Westerners) may obtain a Kuwaiti driver license on the strength of their domestic driver licenses. Other must apply for a learner driver license and pass a driving test.
Important Reminders For Driving in Kuwait:
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years old.
- While driving, a driver and all passengers in the car must wear seat belts.
- Children under 10 years may not sit in front seats.
- The turn to right is not permitted unless there is a special lane.
- It is not permitted to drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The legal blood alcohol level is 0.0%..
- To enter a roundabout any vehicle must always stop fully, rather than just giving way.
- Using a mobile telephone for calls or text messaging while driving is not permitted.
- Third party vehicle insurance is compulsory.
- Ladies drivers may not wear veils that cover their faces.
- The speed limit on highways is 120 km/h, in urban areas 45 km/h. Some roads have a minimum speed limit 50km/h – 70 km/h.
- To rent a car, a driver must be at least 21 years old and have held a driver license for one year
- If a driver is involved in an accident, he must immediately notify the police and remain at the scene until the police arrive. Even if not at fault, involvement in an accident can lead to arrest and temporary incarceration.
Additional information for Driving in Kuwait:
For Driving in Kuwait, parking is not permitted in places where the curb is painted black and yellow. Digital cameras for registering traffic violations are used in Kuwait. If a driver, who goes behind, flashes his high beams, it means he asks to give way.
Traffic violations may also result in the deportation of a foreigner. Kuwait’s roads are in good conditions; road traffic signs are in Arabic and English languages. If asked by the police, drivers must show their driver licences. Drivers who drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs are punishable by up to a year in prison.
In Kuwait, there are two types of monetary penalties: settlement and court fines. Settlement fines may be paid without going to court. They must be paid within 30 days of committing the offence. If time limit is exceeded, a driver must pay the minimum court fine.
Driving in Kuwait during winter:
There is no winter in Kuwait. It is best to avoid travelling during rainy season from June to October. Be sure to plan your trip accordingly. Temperature may be too hot so wear protective clothing.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from