Why carry an IDP while driving in Malawi?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Malawi highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Malawi
Discover Malawi and fall in love with its beauty. This little known African country is a good destination for diving and boating. Drive your own car for convenience and added safety. Be sure to check these reminders before heading out.
- Traffic moves on the left side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years old and the minimum age to rent is 25 years old.
- While driving, a driver and all passengers in the car must wear seat belts.
- Hands-free is a must. Keep your phones away unless they are hands-free.
- While riding, motorcyclists must wear protective helmets.
- Be sure to have an early warning device, first aid kit in your car. Be attentive as police officers always do random checks. Also avoid driving at night in unknown areas.
- Speed limits in built up areas are 50 km/h on urban roads, 80 km/h on rural roads and 100 km/h on highways..
- Drink responsibly. The legal alcohol limit is 80 mg per 100 ml of blood.
- The Malawian police use breathalyzer tests. A traffic police officer has a right to arrest any person without warrant whose result of the breath test exceeds the limit of alcohol concentration or when the person refuses to undergo a breath test as specified in subsection.
- Speed traps with radar guns are common on Malawian roads.
- While driving, drivers must carry their valid driver licenses or certified copies.
Police officers may do spot checks, for driver licenses, car and insurance certificates, warning triangles, etc. and award fines which payable on the spot. When driving, drivers should carry some cash to avoid having the police confiscate their licenses in lieu of fanes payment. Drivers have the right to complaint against a police officer. To do that, a driver must know the officer’s name, rank, and number and address of the police duty station.
Rules for driving in Malawi During Winter:
There is no winter in Malawi. Avoid traveling during the rainy season from November to April. Keep your emergency kit at all times.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from