Why carry an IDP while driving in New Caledonia?
While driving in New Caledonia you should have an IDP. Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. New Caledonia highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in New Caledonia
For driving in New Caledonia you should have an IDP. People go there to enjoy the pristine water and relaxed beach life. Enjoy your trip even more by driving your own car. Take note of the few important traffic rules.
- New Caledonia is a right-hand drive country.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years old and to rent a car, drivers must be over 21 years of age.
- While driving, a driver and all passengers in the car must wear seat belts.
- Hands-free is a must.
- Drink moderately. The legal alcohol limit is 50 mg per 100 ml of blood.
- The speed limit is 30km/h in urban areas, 50 km/h in rural areas, and 110 km/h in highways.
- Be sure to have early warning device, fire extinguisher, first aid kit and reflective vest in your car.
- Third-party insurance is mandatory.
- Be sure to have early warning device, fire extinguisher, first aid kit and reflective vest in your car..
- Police station phone number is 17.
New Caledonia has a good road network and driving is the best way to get around.
Most car rental agencies require drivers to be at least 21 years and sometimes 25 years. There is no maximum age limit. To rent a car, any driver needs to have a full valid driver license (or/and an International driving permit) which must be held for at least two years. In New Caledonia, there are two toll roads; both are from its capital, Noumea.
Driving in New Caledonia During Rainy Season:
New Caledonia has a tropical climate. Just avoid travelling during the rainy season from December to March. Keep your emergency kits handy at all times. Plan your trip accordingly.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from