Why carry an IDP while driving in San Marino?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Bangladesh highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in San Marino
To drive in San Marino, foreign visitors need a valid driver license issued by the country of their residence and an International driving license. It is permitted to drive with the International driving license for up three months. Foreign visitors from European Union countries may drive in San Marino with their domestic driver licenses. Drivers from non-European Union countries can drive with their original driver licenses accompanied by International Driving Permits for one year. If a person has moved his residence to Italy, after one year driving with his driver license issued by the country of his last residence, he must exchange his driver license. Read the traffic rules to prepare for your trip.
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years old.
- While driving, a driver and all passengers in the car must wear seat belts.
- Children from 4 to 12 years of age cannot be transported in the front seats unless they have appropriate seat restraints.
- While riding, motorcyclists must wear protective helmets.
- The speed limit in built-up areas is 50 km/h (31 mph), outside built-up areas – 90 km/h (56 mph) on ordinary roads and 110 km/h (68 mph) on dual carriageways, and on motorways – 130 km/h (81 mph). If using snow chains, the maximum speed limit is 50 km/h (31 mph).
- A warning triangle, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and spare bulbs for car external lights must be present in every vehicle.
- Third-party insurance is mandatory and the legal drink driving limit is 0.05%.
- Drivers must use dipped headlights during the day on motorways and dual carriageways. They may use their horns in built-up areas in cases of extreme danger only. It is not permitted to carry any radar restriction whether or not it is switched on.
- Drivers who are driving vehicles with overhanging loads must have red and white striped reflective panels on the back of their cars.
- It is illegal to carry a child less than 5 years of age on a moped or motorcycle.
- Snow chains are required from the 15 October to the 15 April.
- The police phone number is 113.
Driving in the Winter
Driving during winter in San Marino can be challenging. You are required to use snow chains from October to April. Keep your emergency kits handy at all times. As long as you’re prepared, you’re good to go.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from