Why carry an IDP while driving in American Samoa?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Bangladesh highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in American Samoa
For driving in American Samoa, foreign visitors must have valid driver licenses and International driving permits. A nonresident who is 18 years of age and has a valid driver license issued to him by another country may operate a vehicle in American Samoa for a period not to exceed 30 days. Read the traffic rules to prepare for your trip.
- Driving is on the left-hand side of the road while the passing vehicle is on the right.
- The minimum driving age is 16 years old.
- While driving, a driver and all passengers in the car must wear seat belts.
- The speed limit is 15 mph in the built-up areas and 25 mph on the open road.
- Children under 3 years of age must be transported in the special child seats approved by the US Department of Transportation. Children who are from three to four years of age must be restrained in a child passenger restraint system approved by the US Department of Transportation or restrained by a seat belt assembly.
- Using mobile phones while driving is not permitted; the exception is the cell phones with a hands-free device.
- When two vehicles enter an unregulated intersection from different highways at the same time, the driver of the vehicle on the right must yield the right-of-way to the driver of the vehicle on the left.
- After having stopped at a stop sign, a driver must yield the right-of-way to any vehicle which has entered the intersection from another highway or which is approaching so closely on the highway as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time of moving across or within the intersection.
- Drivers, who are going to turn right, must yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction.
- Vehicles meeting a school bus which has stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging school children must stop before reaching the school bus. Drivers may not proceed until the visual signals are turned off.
- It is not permitted to stop or park any vehicle or leave it standing, in front of a fire station or within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
- It is not permitted to park a vehicle in a space designated for vehicles of disabled persons.
Traffic signs are the same as in the United States of America. To rent a car, a driver must be 25 years of age and has held a driver license at least for one year. Whilst driving, drivers must carry their valid driver licenses, car registration documents and insurance documents. A four-wheel-drive vehicle is recommended for travel on secondary roads as they are predominantly dirt and gravel roads.
Night driving can be dangerous and should be avoided since poor and deteriorating road conditions. Roads often traverse small streams; drivers should never enter their cars into a stream if the roadbed is not visible. Preferential right-of-way at an intersection may be indicated by stop signs or yield signs. The police phone number 911.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from