Why carry an IDP while driving in Georgia?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Georgia highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Georgia
Driving in Georgia is eadier due to good roads. Ancient monasteries, wines and architecture are the amazing things waiting for you in Georgia. It is a part of neighboring European Countries so driving your car is the best way to explore this country. Be sure to read these traffic laws to help you with your travel.
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years old.
- While driving, a driver and all passengers in the car must wear seat belts.
- Child-restraint is a must.
- Hands-free is a must. Keep your phones away unless they are hands-free.
- Drink responsibly if you are driving.
- The speed limit is 60 km/h in urban areas, 80 km in rural roads and 110 km/h on most highways.
- Be sure to rent a four-wheel drive vehicle.
- There are a lot of one-way roads in Georgia’s capital, Tbilisi. Keep your eyes on the road.
- Third-party insurance is a must.
Speed limits For Driving in Georgia:
For driving in Georgia, some areas, such as school zones or construction zones, may be posted for lower maximum speed limits, so please be aware of signs. When there are two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, slower vehicles should use the right lane except when passing or making a left turn. On certain highways and interstate roads, minimum speed limits are posted.
WITHIN CITY LIMITS: 25-45 mph
UNDIVIDED RURAL ROAD: 55 mph
DIVIDED RURAL ROAD: 65 mph
FREEWAY WITHIN CITY LIMITS: 55-70 mph
FREEWAY OUTSIDE CITY LIMITS: 70 mph
Driving in Georgia in the Winter
Driving in Georgia in winter is the best time to travel. Be sure to use a four-wheel drive vehicle and equip winter tires in all your wheels. Though snow is expected, you should be good as long as you are prepared. November to March is the winter season in Georgia.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from