Why carry an IDP while driving in Israel?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Israel highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Israel
Set out on a journey to the fabled Holy Land! Your trip is much more satisfying when you are in control of your own itinerary! Drive your own car and see Israel on your own terms. Before starting your new adventure, it is important to keep in mind some traffic rules applied in the country you plan to visit.
- The right-hand side of the road driving orientation.
- You must be 16 years and 9 months to drive in Israel. You must be at least 21 years old to rent a car.
- Do not drink and drive! Permitted alcohol level driving in Israel is 24 mg per 100 ml of blood.
- Travelling from November to March? Dipped headlights are required all day long.
- Be sure to have a reflective vest in your car.
- U-turns are allowed unless stated otherwise.
- Horns are often used to indicate displease of someone’s speed or behaviour.
- Roundabouts are very common, give way to cars already in the circle.
- Talking on a mobile phone without a hands-free system (not a headset) is forbidden.
- There are no all-way stop signs.
The speed limit is 50 km/h in urban areas, 80 km/h – 90 km/h in rural roads and 110 km/h in motorways.
Unless stated differently by a traffic sign, speed limit for a passenger car is: Residential zones – 50km/h Inter-city without a physical separation median between opposing lanes – 80km/h Inter-city with a physical separation median between opposing lanes – 90km/h Freeway – 110km/h
Driving in Israel in the Winter
Driving a car through Israeli roads in winter shouldn’t be a problem if you take some precautions. You will see snowfall most likely in certain parts of the country so it is important to put on winter tires. Also be aware that, according to the winter driving regulation in Israel, all drivers must keep the vehicle headlights on while travelling on an intercity road.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from