Why carry an IDP while driving in Italy?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Italy highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Italy
History, culture, fashion, art, literature, nature, music, and food. Italy is the place to be. Since Italy is a part of neighbouring European countries, it is highly recommended to drive your own car. Be sure to check some of the known laws for driving in Italy.
- Drive on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years old. Minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old.
- While driving, a driver and all passengers in the car must wear seat belts.
- Hands-free is a must. Keep your phone away unless it is hands-free. Otherwise, you will be fined!
- Drive moderately if you are driving. Maximum alcohol level limit is 50mg per 100ml of blood.
- Safety camera warning devices are not allowed.
- The speed limit is 50km/h in town and city areas, 80km/h on local roads, 100km/h on national roads and 120km/h on highways.
- Be sure to have a reflective vest and early warning device in your car at all times.
- In case of emergency, keep your hazard lights on.
Documents required to drive in Italy
Driving licences issued by any of the EU member states are valid throughout the European Union, including Italy. Drivers in possession of a licence issued by any EU country do not require an international driving permit or a sworn translation of their own licence.
Driving in Italy in the Winter
Italian winter is a driving challenge. As long as you have winter tires on, you should be good. Keep safety and emergency kits in your car as well. Keep your headlights on at all time if visibility is poor.
Indulge and have a safe travel!
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from