Why carry an IDP while driving in Laos?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Laos highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Laos
To drive in Laos, foreign visitors need a valid driver license issued by the country of their residence and an International driving license. It is permitted to drive with the International driving license for up three months Discover Laos and visit treasured Buddhist temples. The best way to explore this country is by driving your own car. Here are a few reminders before you head out.
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years old.
- While driving, a driver and all passengers in the car must wear seat belts.
- Hands-free is a must. Keep your phones away unless they are hands-free.
- You are not allowed to drink and drive in Laos.
- The speed limit is 30 km/h in urban areas and 50 km/h in rural roads.
- Be sure to rent a four-wheel drive vehicle.
- Heavy traffic is expected, especially in the capital..
- Keep your eyes on the road as the conditions may be difficult for tourist.
Police officers have the right to inspect vehicle documents and driver licenses of any driver. In the case of an accident causing injury to a person, the injured person must be sent to a hospital and report the accident to the traffic police. Foreigner drivers who were involved in traffic accidents are barred from leaving Laos before paying compensation.
Driving in Laos During the Winter
Laos does not have winter. However, avoid travelling during the rainy season from June to October. Plan your trip accordingly and you are good to go.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from