Why carry an IDP while driving in Latvia?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Latvia highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Latvia
Visit Latvia and discover medieval architectures and natural landscapes. It is a part of neighboring European Countries so driving your own car is a must. There are several important traffic laws you need to familiarize yourself with.
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years. To rent a car, the driving age should be at least 21 years and have held driving permit for one year. Drivers under 25 may be obligatory to pay young driver surcharges.
- Speed limits are: in built up areas – 50 km/hr (31 mph); on open roads – 90 km/hr (56 mph); on the highways – 110 km/h (68 mph). Drivers who have held their driving permits for less than two years are not permitted to exceed 80 km/h.
- Using mobile phones while driving is prohibited; it is permitted to use cell phones with a hands-free system.
- During the daylight hours, dipped headlights must be used.
- While driving, drivers must carry at all times a valid driving permit, car registration and insurance documents.
- It is mandatory to have in a car a warning triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and spare lights bulbs.
- Seat belts are compulsory for drivers and all passengers in front and rear seats.
- In the front seat, children under 12 years or smaller than 1.5 meters must use an appropriate restraint.
- The legal blood alcohol limit is 0.05% for drivers who have been driving for at least two years. For drivers who have driven for less than two years, the blood alcohol limit is 0.02 %.
- Some areas have “Pay and Display” parking; for parking there, it is required to display a disc or ticket from a meter.
- Winter tires are required between 1 December and 1 March.
- It is not permitted to use radar detectors.
- The police phone number is 112.
Driving in Latvia in the Winter
Winter in Latvia can be challenging. Be sure to have winter tires in all your wheels from December to March. Keep your emergency kits handy at all times. Plan your trip accordingly.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from