Why carry an IDP while driving in Lesotho?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Lesotho highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Lesotho
Lesotho is an ideal destination for outdoor adventure since it is known for its mountainous topography. Drive your own car to go from one place to another to maximize your stay! Know the traffic rules so your experience will be to the fullest.
- Driving is on the left side of the road.
- Overtaking is on the right. A driver may not overtake other traffic proceeding in the same direction when approaching a hill, on bends, immediately before or at an intersection and level crossing.
- On mountain roads and steep roads, the driver travelling downhill shall pull to the side of the road in order to give way to motor vehicles proceeding uphill The minimum driving age for mopeds is 16 years.
- The driving age for cars is 18 and over.
- To drive commercial vehicles, any driver must be at least 21 years of age and have held for not less than 2 years driver licenses.
- Seat belts are mandatory for driver and front seat passenger.
- Speed limit is 50 km/h in villages and 80km/h on main roads.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.08%.
- Children under 4 years must be ridden in special child seats. Children under 12 must seat in rear seats while driving.
- At intersections, drivers must stop to allow a vehicle having the right of way to pass.
- At junction, vehicles approaching from his right side have priority unless the junction is controlled by a road traffic sign or traffic police officer.
- A driver entering from a path to a public road must give way to vehicle travelling on that road.
- Vehicles other than two-wheeled cycles and two wheeled motor cycles may not stand or be parked two abreast on the carriageway.
Driving in Lesotho in the Winter
Driving in Lesotho in winter can be challenging as black ice and snow is present! Be sure to have winter tires in all your wheels from May to September. Keep your emergency kits handy at all times. As long as you’re prepared, you’re good to go.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from