Why carry an IDP while driving in Mozambique?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Mozambique highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Mozambique
Mozambique’s marvelous beaches awaits you. This beautiful country is known for fresh seafood! Hop on a car and drive from one destination to another. Plan your trip accordingly by reading the driving rules in Mozambique.
- Mozambique drive on the left side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years old.
- Seat belt is a must. Child-restraint is a must.
- Hands-free is a must. Keep your phones away unless they are hands-free.
- Drink moderately. The legal blood alcohol level is 60 mg per 100 ml of blood.
- The speed limit is 60 km/h in built up areas, 80 km/h in open roads areas and 120 km/h on national roads.
- Be sure to present your IDP along with your national driver’s license upon arrival and renting a vehicle.
- Driving in Mozambique is not always easy; pedestrians often walk in the road and may not be visible, especially at night. It is recommended do not drive at night.
- A foreign driver involved in an accident should immediately report the accident to the nearest police station and to contact his Embassy.
- Drivers, who have an accident and don’t have the insurance, will be placed in jail and fined excessively.
- Checkpoints are common throughout Mozambique, and drivers should obey police signals to stop at checkpoints.
- When a driver is fined, the traffic police officer must specify the traffic violation and indicate the value of the fine.
- The police phone number is 119.
Driving in Mozambique in the Winter
Mozambique has a tropical climate so there is no winter. Avoid travelling during rainy season from October to March. Be sure to keep your emergency kits handy at all times. Prepare wisely and you should be good to go! Have a fun and safe trip.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from