Why carry an IDP while driving in New Guinea?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. New Guinea highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in New Guinea
In love with the sea and marine life? This is the perfect place for you. The reefs of Kavieng, Lae and Wuvulu Island with a truly amazing number of coral species are the things that this country can offer. Roam around while driving your own car to maximize your stay. Be sure to check some important tips before heading out.
- You drive on the left side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years old.
- Seat belt is a must for ALL passengers.
- Hands-free is a must. Keep your phones away unless they are hands-free.
- Drink moderately. The legal alcohol limit is 80 mg per 100 ml of blood.
- The speed limit is 60 km/h in urban areas and 75 km in rural roads.
- Watch out for police officers.
- Driving outside the major cities can be dangerous. Drive attentively.
- Be sure to have early warning device, fire extinguisher, first aid kit and reflective vest in your car,
- The maximum permissible level of alcohol in blood is 0.08 %.
- A foreign driver must have a valid International driving license for renting and driving a car. The price of a rental car is high.
Driving in New Guinea the Winter
New Guinea is a hot country. Landslides are present during rainy season. Better avoid travelling from December to March. Plan your trip accordingly and you will be good to go. Enjoy the experience and safe travels.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from