Why carry an IDP while driving in Albania?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in more than 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information in the 12 most widely spoken languages in the world – it is understandable to most of the local officials and authorities of the countries you visit.
It translates your identification information into 12 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Paraguay highly recommends an International Driving Permit.
Driving Rules in Paraguay
To drive in Paraguay, foreign visitors need a valid driver license issued by the country of their residence and an International driving license. It is permitted to drive with the International driving license for up three months.
While in Paraguay, you may encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the United States. The information below is provided for general reference only. Road conditions may vary throughout Paraguay. Driving in Paraguay is dangerous. Some roads in Asuncion and other large cities are covered with asphalt, but most streets are covered with rough cobblestones.
Drivers in Paraguay often ignore traffic rules. In Paraguay, most drivers don’t have vehicle insurance.
Important Reminders For driving in Paraguay:
- Driving is on the right side.
- Everybody must fasten seatbelts while driving.
- The speed limits vary depending on traffic and streets conditions. The maximum speed limit in urban arias is 50 km/h (31 mph).
- Driving under alcohol influence is illegal. The allowed content of alcohol in blood is 0.08 %.
- Drivers can use mobile phones only with a hand-free system.
- Warning signs are lacking in many areas.
- Petrol stations outside the largest cities are poor, that is why it is recommended to fill a tank regularly.
- Renting a car gives the opportunity to travel in this diverse country.
- A foreign driver must have an International Driving Permit for driving in Paraguay.
- The police phone number is 130, emergency services – 141.
Additional information for driving in Paraguay:
Paraguay drives on the right and drivers from countries outside South America should officially bring their own licence and an International Driving Permit, though I have rented a car in Asuncion and wasn’t asked for an IDP.
Speed limits are 110kmh on highways, 80km on rural roads and 50kmh in urban areas. Dipped headlights should be used at all times- the police are keen on this and will fine you for non compliance.
Paraguay has around 60,000km of roads, with less than 10% classed as National routes.These routes will generally be paved but many have deteriorated into a poor condition.
Driving in Paraguay in winter:
Paraguay winter is mild. However, you need to prepare your tools and keep your emergency kits at all times from May to August. All is good when you are prepared.
Enjoy your stay and have a safe travel.
How to get your IDP
We’ve streamlined the application process down by creating a platform that guides you so you know exactly what you’ll need to successfully complete your application
“I was renting a car in Italy when i found out i need to get an International Driving License, after a quick online search and 5min application. i was able to get my IDP in 15 Minutes.. I am very pleased with the service I received”
Trusted by thousands of clients from